Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Secret Pal 10 Questionaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I tend to go for yarns with a goodly amount of natural to them. They just feel so gooooooooood in my hands. Cotton is more my choice, but lovely buttery wool/blends are growing on me. I also had the unfortunate experience of having way too hot soup melt polyester into my skin when I was just a wee one…yeah, so 100% poly/acryl not so much on my list. SHIVER.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? A pocket in my project bag or the vase on the mantle…depends on how purty they are!

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Knitting approx. 2 months. Took a mini class and ran with it. I am told I’m an advanced beginner, limited primarily by my lack of sticks. However, have been crocheting forever, and it’s been a very long time since I’ve seen a pattern I couldn’t tackle.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yup, Amazon knows the depths of my desires.

5. What's your favorite scent? Hmmm, lean toward spicy and soft…like sandalwood. Though when the weather turns warm, cool citrus, cucumber, tea scents are nice.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? All of them be sweet my dearies, and chocolate is their fix o’ choice. Want to send me over the moon? Godiva chocolate cherries. SWOON!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I do some jewelry and scrapbooking (Creative Memories SNOB here). I mentioned the crochet. And am INFATUATED with the idea of spinning…someday when money falls from the skies…SIGH! Same goes for hairpin lace. And weaving.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) MP3s all okie-dokie. Also have an iPod. My musical tastes are hugely varied, just try me. (OK, though I run from metal and easy listening…faith-based not my forte either.)

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? Color = all good. Though not so much pink, though there are exceptions. Or pastel. Or wildly neon. OK, maybe I’m more of an earth mother/jewel tone girl.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? 3 sproglets under 6, 2 bulldogs, 1 husband.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Living in the great White North, the first three are bare necessities 9 months out of the year. Ponchos not so much…they make me look like a whale.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? So far I’ve only knit scarves, a hat and thanks to the magic loop, have started a pair of socks. Liked them all. I tackle anything in crochet, but I really wanted to start knitting for the socks, the cables and the sweaters. Oh, how fast can I push my skills forward?

13. What are you knitting right now? Knitting a basic 4 stitch rib sock from Sensational Knitted Socks, magic loop style (loooooove it, but now need to acquire long teeny circs…) and the Misty Garden Scarf from IK Holiday Gifts. Crocheting the Sour Grapes Scarf from CrochetMe and have started the ripple afghan that may never end.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes, oh yes, bring on the handmade goodness!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Beginning knitter, not many preferences, but please, no DPNs. Simply can’t face the DPNs. I haven’t used plastic knitting needles, but I really don’t like the crochet hooks as they tend to have a ridge where the plastic comes together and it really bothers me. I like more weight to what I’m working with too, so metal and wood I find loverly.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Nope. Once again, am waiting for the money storm to begin.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? Less than a year, but not by much…but it’s frogged now so does that count?

18. What is your favorite holiday? You know, holidays are nice and all, but I’m really an every day gal.

19. Is there anything that you collect? I know this is odd, but I looooooove rocks. Polished, unpolished, pretty or plain, I’m a rock hound.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? Now that I’ve made socks possible for me, I spend oodles of time ogling sock patterns and oh my oh the yarns you can find online. Pippi Kneesocks, Socks That Rock, Scout’s Swag, oh there are so very many…you know the stuff I’m talking about. And then there’s Koigu that I have never even laid eyes on. And the Malabrigo. And Bonker’s Handmade Originals has some GORGEOUS cotton that I imagine sweaters coming from. I have no knitting mag subscriptions and VERY few books…surprise me.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Hairpin lace and Tunisian crochet high on the list. Want, want, want to spin. Need, need, need to learn oh so many knitterly things. At the time of writing I can knit, purl, yo and k2tog. Addendum: and slip and whatever it’s called to make the baby cables in the sock book work. Think basics, that’s me.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Burgeoning. I have chubby feet. 91/2 inch circumference at the instep, 9 inch ankle, 9” toe to heel, very chunky, muscly calves…14 inches thickest…GASP!

23. When is your birthday? September 2.

No comments: